Sunday, September 2, 2012

22 Hours in the Car

For family vacation this year we headed to Utah for two weeks. Although it wasn't our first preference, we decided to drive- our first official family road trip. And maybe our last. Taking advice from friends, we tried driving through the night. I hope the kids would sleep all night and we would have a blissful, easy drive for at least 10 hours. Had it just been Easton in the car, we might have.
 

We left around 5:30 and drove for about an hour and a half. Then we stopped, ate a bit and put on pjs. We turned on a movie and the kids did ok. I had to sit back there by them, which is when I was really wishing we had an eight-seater. Easton fell asleep fine once it got dark enough and we hung up some blankets to block the light. Kesler got more grouchy and more awake as the night wore on. To make a long, sad story short, Kesler hardly slept a wink and cried all night. I had to hold him for most of the night and got almost no sleep myself. I tried to drive for about an hour, but my eyes wouldn't focus enough to keep going.

 
Faking smiles after the worst night ever. In the morning we found out that Kesler's leg had been bothering him all night. When we took the bandage off his burn it was swollen and red and infected. It looked awful. We cleaned it up really well and wrapped it. Then we kept on driving.
 
 
Don't be fooled- he isn't sleeping.

 
The views in southern Utah were amazing. The second day of the drive was much better. We arrived in St. George at around 3 in the afternoon to stay with his family. I'd say the worst part of the drive was the next day when I woke up with the worst migraine of my life. I was sick the entire day with flu symptoms and a splitting headache. No more driving all night for me.


No comments: