Thursday, October 23, 2008

Help?!

So the job search here is seriously out of control. I am at my wits end. Seriously, what is the point of going to college if you are only going to attain entry-level jobs for the rest of your life? Oh wait, maybe if I had actually thought things through before deciding on my major I wouldn't be in this position. Nutrition jobs are super scarce up here, especially if you aren't an RD (I already knew this would be the case) but it doesn't help that the government has to pick NOW to freeze all hiring. That limits my job possibilities down like 90%!
I guess this means the economy problems have finally touched my life in a deeper way. I have more to be worried about than the price of milk, now I have no job to even buy it. Thank goodness one of us was smart enought to pick a job that is recession proof. People will always need accountants. I have looked high and low for jobs and its looking like it'll be COSTCO. I almost got a serving job, but my cards just haven't worked out.
Does anyone have any more ideas? I have tried hospitals, school districts, universities, craigs list, doctor's offices, ect. It doesn't help that I am pregnant- basically a time bomb. I am only eligible for jobs that don't mind losing you in 6 months. Help! I haven't lost faith yet, but I am open to your ideas.....

4 comments:

Mike and Kris said...

I am so sorry that things are not going your way. That doesn't make being in a new place any easier. It looks like their are some fun places to go and neat things to see. I wish I had some ideas for you. I'll think about it. Call if you ever need to talk!!

The Zenks said...

In DC everyone used a temp agency--we all were able to find really great jobs that kept us all on for full-time positions that paid well--and I didn't even have a degree at the time. I would definitely recommend using a temp. agency--they take a lot of the work out of finding a job.

Amber and David said...

I totally know how you feel! The same thing happened to me when I graduated and I seriously wished that I would have picked a different major, it's really hard to find health and wellness jobs, even when the economy is doing well, and you're not pregnant! I was in the same boat, just graduated, looking for a job, and pregnant on top if it all. Have you looked into your local gyms or YMCA's? They might have some positions that relate to your degree. Just an idea. In the meantime all I can say is just enjoy your pregnancy, and the time you have to yourself because once the baby comes those moments are few and far between! Good luck!

Lauren H. said...

Hey Kilee-

I read your post and feel your pain (or, at least I did early July). Having a Nutritional Science degree does nothing for jobs, because you don't have a masters or an RN. When we moved out to California, I tried everything from Craigslist to Career Builder... I can't tell you how many applications and cover letters I filled out. Luckily, I quickly hooked up with the LDS Employment Center. They were great, and were able to refer me to the office where I am now working. I'm an assistant for an LDS estate attorney. It has absolutely nothing to do with what we studied, but it has been a great job. I don't know if there is an LDS Employment Office near you, but it might be worth a try. Good luck with everything!