Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thrifty

 

Soren told me about his holiday work party back in September and ever since I was on the hunt for the right dress. Seeing as it was cocktail attire and needed to be modest and I have particular taste, this was a difficult task. Anyways, after searching and searching online, I didn’t find anything. While in a thrift store I saw this dress and loved the fabric. It was $2 and I thought, “I’m sure I could do something with this.” It was about 10 sizes too big and difficult for Soren to see its vision.

IMG_1114

My Mom offered to help me and we started cutting and sewing. It took about 5 hours and a lot of pinning and retrying it on, but I was very happy with the finished product.

IMG_1392

IMG_1394

I also fell in LOVE with the shoes I found to match it.

Unfortunately Soren still didn’t love the final reveal. The vintage look and the blousy waist reminded him too much of all of his Mom’s old dresses. I had a really hard time with it (ie. I was VERY ANGRY), but eventually saw it from his perspective a little more and decided to save the dress for another event. I ended up finding a new black skirt and a sequin top the next day at Kohls that I was happy with. The party ended up being really fun and I enjoyed wearing my new dress to church on Sunday.

IMG_1385

The best part was learning more about altering clothes and I plan to try it again soon. It was so rewarding to see my vision actually come through.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I love the finished dress, I would totally buy it! Great job! The new outfit is beautiful as well. You got a 2 for 1 :)

Launi said...

awesome! the dress looks great on you, kilee, and i'm super impressed with the changes you made! can i be like you? :)

Rob and Marseille said...

that is awesome! sorry he didnt like it though

*Katie* said...

The thrift store dress turned out so cute!

Jenny said...

Kilee! holy cow I'm so impressed. I think it looks fabulous! My jaw dropped. Truly. Nice work!

Janine said...

I can't believe you made that dress cute. I really liked it. Too bad he couldn't see beyond the memory. Although...I love the sequin top.